Mechanical Engineering Design 2
|Course code MECH3110||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Engineering|
This second course in engineering design applies knowledge gained in earlier mechanics and design courses to advanced aspects of engineering design. A range of topics are covered including the design of mechanical connections, power transmission through gears, bearing design and selection and shaft design.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students should be able to:|
1. Undertake appropriate analyses of key components in a mechanical design;
2. Utilise design standards to size components in a mechanical design, and
3. Perform a detailed design on a multi-component mechanical system.
|Content||This course covers key topics important in mechanical engineering design. The following topics are covered: |
1. Mechanical connections.
2. Design of friction drives, clutches and brakes.
3. Epicyclic gear trains.
4. Gear design and selection to Australian Standards.
5. Shaft design.
6. Bearing selection, journal bearing design and lubrication.
7. Design project.
|Assumed Knowledge||MECH2110 Mechanical Engineering Design 1, MECH2420 Engineering Mechanics|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for MECH3110|