Mechanical Engineering Design 2
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
|UoN Singapore||Trimester 3|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
This second course in engineering design applies knowledge gained in earlier mechanics and design courses to advanced aspects of engineering design. A range of topics are covered including the design of mechanical connections, power transmission through gears, bearing design and selection and shaft design.
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students should be able to:
1. Undertake appropriate analyses of key components in a mechanical design;
2. Utilise design standards to size components in a mechanical design, and
3. Perform a detailed design on a multi-component mechanical system.
|Content||This course covers key topics important in mechanical engineering design. The following topics are covered:
1. Mechanical connections.
2. Design of friction drives, clutches and brakes.
3. Epicyclic gear trains.
4. Gear design and selection to Australian Standards.
5. Shaft design.
6. Bearing selection, journal bearing design and lubrication.
7. Design project.
|Assumed Knowledge||MECH2110 Mechanical Engineering Design 1, MECH2420 Engineering Mechanics|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for MECH3110|