Introduces students to fluids and thermodynamics and covers topics such as properties of fluids; viscosity; pressure measurement; transport equations; Bernoulli Equation and applications; work and heat; properties of substances; First Law of Thermodynamics and applications; and introduction to Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Extend the fundamental concepts learnt in Physics and Mathematics to Engineering.
2. Develop problem solving skills related to basic fluid mechanics applications.
3. Apply thermodynamic principles related to power and refrigeration cycles.
4. Understand the concepts of reversibility and irreversibility.
The following topics are studied in the course:
- Fluid properties.
- Pressure measurement, forces on bodies, buoyancy.
- Mass and momentum conservation.
- Bernoulli Equation.
- Introduction to work and Heat.
- Properties of substances.
- First Law of Thermodynamics and applications.
- Introduction to Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Basic Physics and Mathematics
Written Assignment: Assignments - Thermodynamics
Quiz: Quiz 1 - Thermodynamics
Written Assignment: Assignments - Fluid Dynamics
Quiz: Quiz 2 - Fluid Dynamics
Callaghan and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students enrolled in the part-time evening programme at UoN Singapore will receive equivalent instruction delivered in a block mode of 7 teaching weeks