This course provides students with an integrated foundation for understanding the engineering properties of materials and how these properties result from basic chemical bonding and structure.
Availability2017 Course Timetables2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 2 - 2017 (Singapore)
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Select materials for engineering devices
2. Demonstrate the possibilities and limitations of materials in engineering situations
3. Provide a foundation for training in the specialisation of Materials Science/Engineering
4. Explain the science from which engineering materials are based.
The course is concerned with the engineering properties of materials and the supporting science.
The following topics are covered:
- Atomic structure and bonding; states of matter, gases (ideal/real, mixtures, hydrocarbon combustion, green house gases, ozone destruction); liquids (aqueous solutions, solubility, acids/bases), solids (crystal structures, phase diagrams, diffusion, mechanical, electrical and corrosion properties).
- Engineering materials (metals/alloys, ceramics, polymers, composites).
- Electroplating and batteries. Coal, petroleum, petrol, soaps and lubricants.
HSC level knowledge of Physics or Chemistry is assumed.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Callaghan and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Two tutorials (one hour each) per week for the full term.