Mechatronic System Design I
|Course code MCHA3000||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Engineering and Built EnvironmentSchool of Engineering|
This course introduces the process of mechatronic system design. It is a project-based course where a mechatronic system for an electromechanical component is designed and built. The course integrates tools and skills related to computer and software, electronics, control, modelling and simulation. It also develops the concepts of experimental modelling and implementation of computer control systems. The course provides a real-life experience related to the practice of mechatronics engineering.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||The course provides students with a sound understanding of different skills and tools involved in the mechatronic design process. It also integrates knowledge of previous courses. |
At the completion of the course students will be able to:
- Formulate specifications for adopting/designing different components of a mechatronic system (mechanical, electrical, sensors, actuators).
- Design mechatronic system using a structured formal approach.
- Make decisions about components taking into account their effects on the choice of other components and the performance of a mechatronic system.
- Design and implement software for a computer control system with sensor and actuator interfaces.
- Design and implement communication interface with a computer control system for tuning.
- Design and implement printed board circuit (electronic hardware) for a computer control system.
- Implement a software-hardware verification using hardware-in-the-loop testing.
- Conduct experimental modelling to assists in the design and tuning of control systems.
|Content||- Mechatronic system design process|
- Computer control systems
- Experimental modelling (system identification)
- Mechatronic design project
|Assumed Knowledge||MCHA2000 Mechatronic Systems|
MECH2350 Dynamics 2
MECH2450 Engineering Computations 2
ELEC4400 Automatic Control
ELEC3730 Embedded System
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Laboratory: for 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for MCHA3000|