Mathematics with a View to Teaching
Selected topics from the key areas of K-6 syllabus (Space, Number and Measurement) are developed beyond that done in MATH1900. The aim in studying these extensions is to put the topics taught at the elementary level into the broader perspectives of the discipline of mathematics and the teaching of mathematics.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
1. To promote a broader view of the elementary mathematics curriculum by studying extensions of that curriculum
2. To introduce the notion of a profound understanding of mathematics as it applies to teaching elementary mathematics
3. To illustrate the abstract nature of the discipline of mathematics and the role that practical approaches can play in learning to think abstractly.
- Number concepts: including topics such as whole numbers, integers, real numbers and notions of infinity
- Measurement concepts: including topics such as area, time and mass.
- Spatial concepts: including topics such as plane geometry, taxicab geometry, symmetry and the shape of space.
MATH1900 or equivalent mathematical background.
Written Assignment: Draft Submission for Part 1
Written Assignment: Draft Submission for Part 4
Portfolio: Final Portfolio