Covers the mathematics necessary to perform calculations in, and create models for, the real world of Science and Engineering. Specifically, it will demonstrate how to do mathematics in a three-dimensional world. The course describes the fundamental ideas of calculus of functions of one and two variables, differential equations and linear algebra. It continues from MATH1110 to complete a first year of Mathematics suitable for Science and Engineering students, and others for whom Mathematics is a tool.
- Compressed Summer - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Trimester 1 - 2016 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2016 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. A practical foundation in calculus and its applications.
2. A utilitarian familiarity with matrices and eigenvectors.
3. An awareness of common mathematical themes underlying different areas of mathematics (such as that of linearity).
- Sequences, series and approximation.
- Introduction to functions of more than one variable and partial differentiation.
- Elementary differential equations and applications.
- Linear equations and matrices.
- Eigenvectors and eigenvalues and applications.
Quiz: Quizzes (x8)
Formal Examination: Examinations
In Term Test: In Class Test 1 - On Calculus
In Term Test: In Class Test 2 - Differential Equations
Callaghan and UoN Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students enrolled in the part-time evening program at UoN Singapore will receive equivalent instruction delivered in a block mode of 7 teaching weeks.