Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1, Semester 2|
|UoN Singapore||Trimester 3|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Covers the parts of calculus and algebra which have proved fundamental to all of mathematics and its applications. It is the first of a pair of courses, MATH1110 and MATH1120, designed to cover a range of mathematical topics of importance to students in the Sciences, Engineering or Commerce.
In algebra, students learn concepts and symbolic manipulation when calculating with large numbers of variables. In calculus, they learn concepts used when working with continuously changing variables. Both ways of thinking are essential in the mathematics met by students in the Sciences, Engineering and Commerce.
Not to be counted for credit with MATH1210.
|Objectives||At the successful completion fo this course students will have
1. gained the necessary background to study further university level mathematics as required in their program of study.
2. gained mathematical knowledge and skills in the areas of calculus, functions, vectors and complex numbers.
3. improved their analytical ability, in particular their skills at problem-solving.
3. Riemann integral
4. Exponential, logarithmic, and hyperbolic and trigonometric functions
5. Techniques of integration
6. Complex numbers
7. Polar coordinates
8. Vectors, dot and cross products
9. Lines and planes
10. Systems of equations
11. Geometry of curves.
|Assumed Knowledge||HSC Mathematics (Bands 5 or 6) or equivalent. Students who obtained less than this are advised to do MATH1002 or an equivalent prior to enrolling in this course.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Lecture: for 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for MATH1110|