Covers the parts of calculus and algebra which have proved fundamental to all of mathematics and its applications. It is the first of a pair of courses, MATH1110 and MATH1120, designed to cover a range of mathematical topics of importance to students in the Sciences, Engineering or Commerce.
In algebra, students learn concepts and symbolic manipulation when calculating with large numbers of variables. In calculus, they learn concepts used when working with continuously changing variables. Both ways of thinking are essential in the mathematics met by students in the Sciences, Engineering and Commerce.
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Semester 2 - 2015
- Trimester 3 - 2015 (Singapore)
1. Gained the necessary background to study further university level mathematics as required in their program of study.
2. Gained mathematical knowledge and skills in the areas of calculus, functions, vectors and complex numbers.
3. Improved their analytical ability, in particular their skills at problem-solving.
- Riemann integral
- Exponential, logarithmic, and hyperbolic and trigonometric functions
- Techniques of integration
- Complex numbers
- Polar coordinates
- Vectors, dot and cross products
- Lines and planes
- Systems of equations
- Geometry of curves.
Pre-requisite - successful completion of MATH1002
Written Assignment: 10 x Assignments
Formal Examination: Examination
Quiz: Class quizzes
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term