|Course code MARI3320||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Environmental and Life Sciences|
Teaches experimental design and statistical methodology that is essential for Ecological and Environmental studies. Leading on from the 2nd year Biometrics, Applied Biometrics and Marine Ecological courses, this course takes the student through the current best practice techniques in Experimental Marine Ecology. Topics covered, such as the design and implementation of experiments, detection of environmental impacts, and statistical analysis of data from marine ecological experimentation, will allow the student to apply the necessary skills in the field and laboratory.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Workplace Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this compulsory course component in the course outline provided by the school.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be:|
1. expected to design and implement experiments and statistical analysis of data from Marine Ecological experimentation at an advanced level.
2. able to apply these necessary advanced skills and techniques in experimental design and analysis in field and in the laboratory using real Marine Ecological settings.
|Content||1. Philosophical and logical framework of ecological studies|
2. Population parameters and frequency distributions
3. Sampling techniques
4. Analysis of spatial pattern and distribution of organisms
5. Analyses of associations between organisms
6. Experimental Designs in Ecology
7. Detection of ecological impacts
8. Multivariate approaches in ecology
|Assumed Knowledge||STAT1070 Statistics for the Sciences|
STAT2000 Applied Statistics and Research Methods
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Computer Lab: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 8 weeks
Laboratory: for 3 hour(s) per Week for 4 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for MARI3320|