Linguistics Honours IV
This course develops a student's skills and competencies in the development and communication of research findings. The course is conducted under the direct supervision of one or more academic staff members, who act as the student's honours research supervisor or supervisors. The course operates in conjunction with LING4070 which is the first of two courses devoted to the Honours thesis in Linguistics. LING4080 involves the conclusion of data analysis and literature review and the completion of drafts of chapters for review by a supervisor or supervisors and the submission of a completed thesis.
- Semester 1 - 2015
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Advanced competency in developing and communicating research findings in a 15,000 word thesis.
2. Capacity to structure and formulate arguments within a lengthy written text.
3. Capacity to communicate research findings involving very high analytical levels.
4. Capacity to communicate research findings that positions conclusions within a student's overall field of enquiry.
5. Capacity to present research findings to a seminar of academic staff and peers.
6. Research skills necessary to undertake higher-level and post-graduate research and writing.
Supervision of students in:
- Structuring a thesis text to communicate logically the outcomes of a student's research project
- Developing logical and coherent arguments and conclusions within a text that are adequately supported by appropriate evidence
- Use of techniques involving selection of multiple drafting, editing and use of appropriate analytical language to communicate findings to an academic audience
- Engagement in processes of relating specific findings to the overall concerns of linguistics studies research
- Encouragement and support of students to achieve a high level of analytical competence and strongest opportunity to pursue further research and study.
- Making a formal oral presentation on the thesis project to a suitable discipline group within the first six weeks of semester.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts (Honours) or Bachelor of Social Science (Honours) programs.
LING4050 and LING4060
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 12 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Contact hours by arrangement with supervisor.
Self-Directed 7 hour(s) per Week for Full Term