|Course code LAWS5013||Units 10||Level 5000||Faculty of Business and LawNewcastle Law School|
LAWS courses are only available to students enrolled in Bachelor of Laws (LAWS) degree programs.
This course introduces students to key legal and policy topics relevant to the delivery of health care and the conduct of biomedical research. Key topics include: legal foundations of the health care system; negligence and patient safety; consent to health care; privacy and confidentiality of health information; genetics; human reproductive technologies; public health, including infectious and chronic disease control; allocation of health care resources; research involving human participants; and decision-making at the end of life. The course focuses on the contemporary Australian context and incorporates some international comparative material.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On successful completion of the course, students will be able to: |
1. Explain key legal principles relevant to the fields of health law studied in this course, including principles of negligence, consent, privacy and confidentiality, and regulation.
2. Apply legal principles to a range of health law problems.
3. Compare and contrast different legal and policy approaches to addressing health law problems.
4. Critique and justify options for law reform to address controversial areas in health law and policy.
5. Communicate effectively in writing and orally in a manner consistent with conventions of the legal discipline.
|Content||The topics covered in this course are: |
1. Legal foundations of the Australian health care system
2. Regulation of health practitioners
3. Health care liability, negligence and patient safety
4. Consent to treatment
5. Confidentiality, privacy and access to health information and records
6. Law and public health
7. Legal regulation of reproduction and new reproductive technologies
8. Law and genetics
9. Governance of health research
10. End-of-life decisions and legal regulation of assisted dying
|Assumed Knowledge||LAWS1001A, LAWS1001B, LAWS1002A, LAWS1002B, LAWS2003A, LAWS2003B, LAWS3004A, LAWS3004B, LAWS3005.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Problem Based Learning|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for LAWS5013|