Advanced Latin B
|Course code LATN3530||Units 20||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
One of four advanced level Latin courses enabling students to proceed to a major in Latin. They consist of parallel reading and grammar classes, and provide students with the opportunity to read and comprehend the major Latin classics.
Only two of the courses LATN3520, LATN3530, LATN3540, LATN3550 will be offered in any given year.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||1. To consolidate Latin grammar points covered at 1000 level and in LATN2510|
2. To apply knowledge of major grammatical constructions to the reading of texts.
3. To read and understand Latin texts of a standard suited to students who have completed 20 units at 1000 level and LATN2510: including Latin of various genres including tragedy and comedy, poetry and prose.
4. To enhance one's command of English by appreciation of its relation to and differences from Latin.
|Content||1. Reading of texts (2: a minor one of verse and major one of prose [Cicero or similar]) of suitable difficulty for students who have completed 20 units of Latin at 1000 level + LATN2510.|
2. Study of the historical, literary, and cultural content of the set texts.
3. Parallel study of relevant additional grammar.
|Assumed Knowledge||Equivalent to 20 units of Latin at 1000 level + LATN2510|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Seminar: for 4 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for LATN3530|