Applied Human Resource Management and Employment Relations
Contemporary human resource management defines a holistic approach to employment relations. The concepts and theories of HRM and ER and their subsequent application to the current cooperation of HRM and ER are examined. Through experiencing relevant case studies of selected industries and enterprises, and responsiveness with local practitioners, students apply and enhance their independent and collaborative work processes and problem solving & decision making skills.
- Semester 2 - 2015
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Critically analyse selected key concepts in HRM and ER
2. Apply HRM and ER concepts in the study of selected industries and enterprises, both unionised and non-unionised
3. Collectively engage in prolonged group assignments that encourage diverse collaborative outcomes
4. Utilise these research methods to gather publicly-available data about HRM and ER practices in selected industries and enterprises
5. Access, evaluate and apply current data and information sources to inform HRM and ER problem solving.
6. Communicate in oral and written formats employing subject specific terminology and context.
7. Demonstrate an integrative awareness of contemporary professional standards, practice and effective implementation.
8. Individually and collectively engage in independent projects that encourage reflection on personal knowledge, skill and ability.
Lectures may include, but are not restricted to, the following topics:
- the practice of HRM and ER at industry and enterprise levels
- research methods in HRM and ER
- the organisation of the HRM and ER functions within enterprises
- union and non-union structures of employee representation within industries and enterprises
- strategic recruitment and selection of employees
- the management of employee performance
- negotiating change at work
- the structure of bargaining within industries and enterprises
- the processes of downsizing within industries and enterprises
- remuneration and rewards management
IRHR2010 and IRHR2270
Written Assignment: Workshop papers
Report: Group Report
Presentation: Presentation & Peer review (Group)
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks