Managing the Organisation
People management within continually changing organisations plays a paramount role to corporate success. This course examines the theories and ideas underlying management and organisational behaviour. Topics are organised to give a general introduction to the three levels of: individual behaviour in organisations, the study of groups and group processes, and the management of the organisation as an entity. With a variety of real life global case studies you will be exposed to the world of management and management practice.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Recognise, comprehend and use the language of management and organisational behaviour.
2. Critically discuss, evaluate and apply theoretical concepts and ideas from management and organisational behaviour to local, national and international workplace and case studies.
3. Explain that there are no right answers in management and organisational behaviour.
4. Produce written essays using academic standards, style and structure appropriate to both purpose and audience.
5. Demonstrate effective contributions to group tasks and processes by defining work targets, planning activities in consultation, and debating ideas and perspectives in a tutorial.
6. Demonstrate an integrative understanding of international perspectives as they relate personally and professionally.
Lectures examine and critically evaluate the theories and ideas underlying management and organisational behaviour. Tutorials will provide exposure to application of theory and ideas in organisations. IRHR1001 is organised to give a general introduction to human behaviour and management, including an examination of individual behaviour followed by the study of groups and group processes, the organisation, management and management practices. These topics include:
- Management theory
- Values and Attitudes
- Managing Change
- Managing groups and teams
- Organisational Structures & Design
- Decision Making
- Organisational Culture
- Planning and Control in Organisations
- Ethics and Social Responsibility
- Managing in a Global Environment
Essay: Individual Essay
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Group Case Study - Tutorial presentation and Report
Formal Examination: Final examination
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Tutorial Assessment