3D Modelling Animation and Rendering
Focuses on the practice, concepts and theories associated with 3D modelling, rendering and animation. This course will creatively explore the key issues associated with three-dimensional digital visualization. Assuming no advanced prior knowledge, students will work through a series of theoretical and practical projects in order to develop essential skills and knowledge necessary to critically evaluate and produce an animated 3D sequence commensurate with a postgraduate level of study.
- Trimester 3 - 2016
- Trimester 3 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Produce creative design solutions suitable for use as 3D (computer generated imagery)
2. Devise and produce a 3D animated sequence
3. Critically analyse contemporary 3D animation
4. Demonstrate an applied knowledge of computer hardware and software specific to this course
5. Display an ability to communicate using the terminology particular to 3D
6. Demonstrate an awareness of conceptual and theoretical issues related to 3D.
Topics may include:
- 3D Modelling techniques
- Texturing and rendering
- Environments and lighting
- Character animation
- Motion capture
- Digital Video and Compositing
- The concept development cycle
- Historic context for 3D
- Contemporary trends
- Digital file formats
- Output and distribution
Students are expected to have at least a basic level of computer literacy commensurate with a Postgraduate level of study. This will include basic competency with the use of word processing, presentation and spreadsheet applications and internet/web browsers.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1: Written Report
Project: Assignment 2: Minor Practical Project
Project: Assignment 3: Major Practical Project
Journal: Assignment 4: Learning Journal
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
For students studying on-line - Self Directed Learning: 10 Hours per Week for 12 Weeks. Number of contact hours per week is a minimum recommendation and may vary with individual student's learning style for on-line courses.
Online 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term