This course provides students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the use of databases and database management systems. The logical design and implementation of relational databases are covered.
Not currently offered.
This course replaces the following course(s): INFT2040. Students who have successfully completed INFT2040 are not eligible to enrol in INFT1040.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand data modelling and normalization
2. Evaluate the role of database management systems
3. Recognise and use contemporary logical design methods and tools for databases
4. Comprehend database languages (e.g. SQL)
5. Implement a database solution to a computing problem
6. Develop sophisticated queries to extract information from large datasets.
7. Understand data security and data quality management
1. Data Modelling (ER Model and Conceptual Design)
2. Relational Algebra and Relational Calculus
4. Transaction Management and Concurrency Control
5. Schema Refinement, Functional Dependencies, Normalisation
6. Securty and Authorisation
7. Database Administration
This course has similarities to INFT2040. If you have completed INFT2040 you cannot enrol in this course.
SENG1110 or INFT1004 or COMP1010 or equivalent.
Written Assignment: Data Modelling
Written Assignment: Databases Implementation
Written Assignment: Data Security and management
Formal Examination: Formal Examination