Mammalian Growth & Development
|Course code HUBS2107||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Biomedical Sciences and Pharmacy|
This course will provide students with knowledge and understanding of the biomolecular, cellular, genetic, physiological and anatomical aspects of growth and development, from the creation of the germ cells in the developing embryo to reproductive senescence in the ageing adult. The course will examine how sperm and eggs are made; fertilization achieved; and a successful pregnancy initiated, maintained and stopped at parturition. Developmental principles will be studied. The course will focus only on mammals with an emphasis on humans. Current research findings and techniques will be a major feature of this course.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||1. To build the student's knowledge and understanding of the cellular, genetic, physiological and anatomical aspects of growth and development, from creation of the germ cells in the developing embryo to reproductive senescence in the ageing adult.|
2. To develop an appreciation of the endocrine control of reproduction.
3. To develop an understanding of factors limiting human fertility, and how they can be overcome.
4. To develop an appreciation of the endocrinology of pregnancy and factors affecting timing of gestation.
5. To develop a good understanding of normal human mammalian embryology.
6. Develop critical research skills by examining research findings presented in class.
|Content||1. The Endocrine System and Reproductive Hormones|
6. Assisted Reproductive Techniques
8. Pregnancy- hormonal control
9. The Placenta
10. Foetal growth and gestation
12. Effect of Ageing on Reproductive Health
|Replacing Course(s)||From 2007 this course will replace HUBS3405 Mammalian Growth and Development 10 units|
|Assumed Knowledge||HUBS1403 Biomedical Science Part 1 and HUBS1404 Biomedical Science Part 2|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 4 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for HUBS2107|