Foundations of Health Promotion
|Course code HPRO6715||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Medicine and Public Health|
This course provides an introduction to the theory and practice of health promotion.
Students who have completed HPRO6710 Introduction to Health Promotion can NOT enroll in this course.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||• At the end of this course, students will be able to: |
• Describe the concepts of health and determinants of health
• Describe and apply in context key frameworks of health promotion, such as relevant WHO charters and declarations
• Understand the difference between health promotion and health education
• Describe and apply underpinning principles and elements of effective health promotion, such as population reach and evidence-based practice
• Understand and apply behaviour change theories and models to influence change in individuals
• Understand and apply organisational change and capacity building theory to influence change in organisations
• Apply a systematic process for the determination of priorities
• Critically appraise strategic policies and plans for health promotion .
|Content||Topics to be covered include: history of health promotion (including relevant international charters/ declarations), the role of health promotion in public health, principles and models of health promotion, examples of health promotion organisations, networks and projects.|
|Replacing Course(s)||This course will replace HPRO6710 (Introduction to Health Promotion. This course had a ten unit value)|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Email Discussion Group: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for HPRO6715|