Foundations of Health Promotion
This course provides an introduction to the theory and practice of health promotion.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Describe the concepts of health and determinants of health
2. Describe and apply in context key frameworks of health promotion, such as relevant WHO charters and declarations
3. Understand the difference between health promotion and health education
4. Describe and apply underpinning principles and elements of effective health promotion, such as population reach and evidence-based practice
5. Understand and apply behaviour change theories and models to influence change in individuals
6. Understand and apply organisational change and capacity building theory to influence change in organisations
7. Apply a systematic process for the determination of priorities
8. Critically appraise strategic policies and plans for health promotion .
9. Report the health status of different communities within Australia, including Indigenous people, locationally disadvantaged communities and low socioeconomic communities and compare with the health of other population groups
10. Develop awareness of data gathering methods that can inform health promotion planning, intervention and evaluation
11. Describe and critically evaluate the concepts, definitions and models that underpin health promotion (specifically the Biomedical, Behavioural and Socio-ecological models)
12. Identify approaches or interventions designed to improve health/ health inequality at a behavioural lifestyle and socio-ecological level, and across different settings (e.g., individual, group, community)
13. Discuss the effects that socioecological factors may contribute to health and the ability to uptake health promotion action
14. Identify the factors that may influence/challenge health promotion outcomes
Topics to be covered include:
- history of health promotion (including relevant international charters/ declarations),
- the role of health promotion in public health,
- principles and models of health promotion,
- examples of health promotion organisations, networks and projects.
This course replaces the following course(s): HPRO6710. Students who have successfully completed HPRO6710 are not eligible to enrol in HPRO6715.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Via email to Lecturer and Course Coordinator