Effective Group leadership
|Course code HLSC6518||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Health Sciences|
This course develops advanced and integrated knowledge and specialized skill in facilitation of group counselling sessions. Students will critically analyse and synthesise complex knowledge relating to a range of group interventions, and will research and apply knowledge of group dynamics to relationship education. Students will develop expertise in supporting change using the group environment.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||At the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:|
1. Identify and select group work as an appropriate approach for clients
2. Develop group interventions.
3. Facilitate individuals and groups’ safety.
|Content||• Theoretical frameworks informing group counselling intervention|
• A variety of group work interventions, including evidence based and culturally sensitive approaches.
• Stages of group development.
• Types of group leadership.
• Appropriate selection and use of group techniques to meet the expressed needs of group participants.
• Managing conflict positively and constructively in groups.
• Analysing and responding to group dynamics and associated behaviours.
• Self-awareness and impact on group process and effective group counselling leadership.
• Ethical standards, behaviour and legal frameworks for therapeutic relationships in groups.
• Reflective practice and the influence of values and attitudes.
• Evaluating techniques and effectiveness of group counselling facilitation and interventions.
|Assumed Knowledge||Undergraduate degree in relevant discipline and relevant professional experience in the field.|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Workshop: for 32 hour(s) per Term for Full Term|
Practical: for 24 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
Problem Based Learning: for 64 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for HLSC6518|