Israel and the Middle East: Roots of the current conflict
|Course code HIST2672||Units 10||Level 2000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
Examines the historical origins of the current conflict in the Middle East with particular reference to Israel and the Arabs. Topics: Colonialism and Zionism; Arab nationalism and the demise of the Ottoman Empire; the British Mandate in Palestine; the Holocaust and the Middle East; the UN and the establishment of Israel; Nasserism, Suez crisis and Six Day War; rise of the PLO; Cold War and the Middle East; Camp David, Oslo Accords and the Road Map to peace.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||1. Introduce students to major themes and issues pertaining to the origins of the conflict between Israel, the Palestinians and the Arabs as a whole.|
2. Introduce students to historiographical issues pertaining to the Middle East conflict.
3. Enhance students' skills in the areas of research, analysis, and the presentation of arguments both written and verbal.
|Content||Course content will be drawn from the following range of topics:|
1. Colonialism and Zionism
2. Arab nationalism
3. demise of the Ottoman Empire
4. the British Mandate in Palestine
5. the Holocaust, Palestine and Israel
6. the UN and the establishment of Israel
7. Nasserism, Suez crisis and Six Day War
8. rise of the PLO
9. Cold War and the Middle East
10. Camp David, Oslo Accords and the Road Map to peace.
|Replacing Course(s)||HIST3672 Israel and the Middle East: roots of the current conflict|
HIST3671 Israel and the Middle East
|Transition||Students who have previously completed HIST3672 Israel and the Middle East: roots of the current conflict or HIST3671 Israel and the Middle East, are not permitted to enrol in HIST2672|
|Assumed Knowledge||20 units in History at 1000 level or equivalent|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for HIST2672|