History and Heritage
Offers a chance to combine classroom-based theoretical approaches with hands-on experience. The international history of heritage will be traced from the late 19th century to the present day. A close study of heritage in Australia including its legislative bases will be made. There will be consideration of the meaning of heritage as a form of history. Parallel to this theoretical stream will be a series of workshops and excursions to heritage sites providing students with a basic training in research, reporting and presentation skills and techniques of the heritage consultant.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand key concepts with regard to heritage;
2. Understand the relationship between history and heritage;
3. Demonstrate understanding of the significance of local heritage;
4. Demonstrate awareness of essential texts such as the Burra Charter and of approaches to heritage;
5. Demonstrate skills appropriate to entering the heritage field;
6. Perform writing and research tasks appropriate to advanced undergraduate study in the history/heritage field.
The course will trace the international history of heritage, with special attention to the legislative basis of heritage in Australia and the meaning of heritage, and will include parallel workshops and excursions.
Specific topics are likely to include:
- The History of Heritage
- The Heritage Study
- Heritage Legislation
- Sources for Heritage Studies
- Community Heritage
- National Parks and Aboriginal Heritage
- Heritage and Historians
- Heritage and Tourism
This course replaces the following course(s): HIST3051. Students who have successfully completed HIST3051 are not eligible to enrol in HIST2051.
This course replaces HIST3051. If you have successfully completed HIST3051 you cannot enrol in this course.
20 units of History at 1000-level
Written Assignment: Written assignments Exhibit review
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: tutorials and seminars.
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Case Scenario/PBL exercises
Presentation: Presentations - Individual