Managing Human Resources and Employment Relations
|Course code GSBS6611||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Business and LawNewcastle Business School|
This course introduces the concepts relevant to the management of human resources and employment relations. It critically reviews the current HRM function within organisations and the elements of the legal and institutional environment that affect organisational practices. Specific attention will be given to contemporary issues in the practice of HRM and Employment Relations.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007|
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:|
1. Analyse the role and contribution of Human Resource Management and Employment Relations to the management of organisations.
2. Apply HRM and Employment Relations theories, models and concepts to workplace situations.
3. Critically evaluate contemporary debates surrounding HRM and Employment Relations.
4. Explain the range of competencies and roles required of HRM and Employment Relations practitioners within various organisational settings.
|Content||This course will cover these topics:|
1. Human Resource Management (HRM) and Employment Relations (ER)
• Values and assumptions
• Roles, fads and fashions.
2. The context of HRM and ER
• Economic, technological, political and social context
• Legal and ethical context
• Strategy and HRM/ER
• Organisational context – the nature of work, organisations, and jobs
3. HRM and ER practices, including:
• Job analysis and competency profiling
• Work and workplace design
• Recruitment and selection
• Performance management
• Learning and Development
• Management of Diversity
• Remuneration and reward systems
• Management of health, safety, wellness
• Employee voice and consultation
• The ethics of HRM/ER
4. Evaluating HRM and ER performance.
|Transition||GSBS6042 Employment Relations is being offered in Trimester 1, 2007|
|Assumed Knowledge||Students taking this course cannot take the on-line course GSBS6040 Human Resouce Management.|
|Modes of Delivery||External Mode|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|