International Financial Management
The course undertakes an in-depth examination of international financial markets and instruments, foreign exchange regimes and exchange rate determination. A significant part of this course also covers alternative methods of financing international operations and strategies for foreign direct investment and alternative methods.
Sydney Elizabeth Street
- Trimester 2 - 2016
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 2 - 2016
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Apply appropriate formats and technologies to financial communication.
2. Analyse, apply and evaluate information within the global financial environment of foreign exchange to solve problems and make informed decisions.
3. Review the problems of dealing in foreign currency and the advantages and disadvantages of overseas funding
4. Recognise and calculate forward exchange rates given spot rates
5. Identify market conventions on exchange rate quotation and correctly calculate those quotations
6. Demonstrate an integrative understanding of the foreign exchange market and the relationships between interest rates, spot and forward rates and expected inflation rates
7. Comprehend the range of hedging strategies including forward rate hedging and contingent hedging
8. Explain the use of futures and option contracts in hedging foreign exchange exposure
9. Analyse, evaluate and synthesise both quantitative and qualitative financial information to influence problem solving and decision making.
The content of this course includes but is not limited to the following topics:
- International business environment
- International finance and foreign exchange determination
- Measuring diverse foreign exchange risk exposure
- The cost of capital of a multinational enterprise
- Corporate strategy and foreign direct investments; capital budgeting in a multinational setting
GSBS6130 Corporate Finance
Written Assignment: Group Assignment Written and Oral Presentation
In Term Test: Mid-Trimester Test
Formal Examination: Final Exam
Presentation: Presentation - Group
Newcastle City Precinct and Sydney Elizabeth Street
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term