Applied Portfolio Management deals with the construction and management of an institutional investment portfolio. It provides students with a thorough understanding of procedures involved in portfolio management - setting portfolio objectives, determining investment policy, formulating investment strategies, devising rules for updating portfolio, evaluation performance and protecting portfolio. Students will be provided with various management investment products and fund management practices in Australia.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
Sydney Elizabeth Street
- Trimester 3 - 2017
Newcastle City Precinct
- Trimester 3 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Develop and demonstrate ability to construct and evaluate a portfolio from internationally traded assets under changing market conditions.
2. Demonstrate critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills in the context of portfolio construction and management.
3. Display an understanding of taxation, legal, regulatory and ethical issues relevant to fund management.
4. Measure and manage risk exposure of a portfolio.
5. Evaluate the portfolio performance.
6. Critically examine both the active and the passive strategy of portfolio management
7. Develop trading strategies based on empirical evidence
The content of this course may include:
- Portfolio objective and investment policy
- Portfolio construction: securities selection and screening
- International investment and diversification
- Active versus passive portfolio management
- Portfolio evaluation
- Measurement and management of portfolio risk
- Mutual fund and hedge fund investment strategies
- Alternative and illiquid investments including real estate, private equity/venture capital, closely-held companies and inactively traded securities, distressed securities/bankruptcies, tangible assets with low liquidity
GSBS6140 Investment Analysis
Project: Written Assignment - Research Project
Written Assignment: Written Assignment 1 and 2
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Newcastle City Precinct and Sydney Elizabeth Street
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term