Global Business Management
|Course code GSBS6008||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Business and LawNewcastle Business School|
This course focuses on the management of international business organisations, comprising both equity (wholly-owned and JV) and non-equity business organisations (strategic alliances). The course is organised around theories and approaches to international management. Major topics include the organization and management of multinational corporations (MNCs) as the leading type of international business organisation; MNC headquarter-subsidiary relationships; the organization and management of business networks; MNCs as learning organisations; and critical perspectives on international businesses. Functional areas of management are examined in their international contexts, including international human resources management; international operations and supply chain management and international marketing.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course students will be able to:|
1. Think critically about underlying theories, concepts, assumptions and arguments relating to the multinational form of organisation.
2. Comprehend how the management of cross-border operations impact upon the management functions of human resource management, marketing, operations and supply chain management.
3. Work independently and collaboratively to analyse strategies to manage multiple cross-border operations.
4. Engage in inquiry processes to understand the management and organisational challenges of coordinating cross-border operations.
5. Develop the essential international perspectives which inform professional management standards and ethical practice in international management.
|Content||This course includes the following topics – |
• Theories of management of international business organizations, especially MNCs
• Headquarter subsidiary relationships and subsidiary roles.
• Organisation and management of networks of business organisations
• Knowledge management, learning and innovation in multinational business organisations
• International marketing.
• International human resource management.
• International operations and supply chain management.
• Critical perspectives on the MNC and Stakeholder Analysis of MNC activity.
|Replacing Course(s)||This course replaces GSBS6482 The Multinational Corporation.|
|Transition||This course is not available to students who have completed GSBS6482 The Multinational Corporation. Global Business Management will be offered as an equivalent course to The Multinational Corporation (GSBS6482) for continuing students.|
|Assumed Knowledge||There is no assumed knowledge for this course.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for GSBS6008|