Organisational Behaviour and Design
|Course code GSBS6004||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Business and LawNewcastle Business School|
This course explores issues related to organisational structural form, human behaviour and the management of people in organisations. It allows students to examine different perspectives on managing people and designing organisations, and to understand the determinants of interpersonal and team interactions in organisational environments. Attention focuses on the major theoretical, conceptual and empirical contributions relevant to designing organisations, and understanding and managing human behaviour within organisations. Case studies are used to assist students to relate content material to practical management.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:|
• Demonstrate a sound understanding of the prominent theories, concepts and models that are used to understand and analyse human behaviour in organisations, as well as an appreciation of their implications for practical management
• Apply conceptual knowledge of theory and models relevant to teamwork and group functioning in organisations
• Demonstrate a well-developed understanding of the organisational design features that influence effectiveness and the contingencies that impact on the structure of organisations
• Display a working understanding of organisations as institutions including issues of structure, power, politics, leadership and change
• Solve applied problems related to organisational design and behaviour, and to identify appropriate management strategies.
• Synthesise and critically examine theoretical and empirical information relating to organisations, their structure and functioning, and implications for human behaviour.
|Content||The topics in this course include but are not limited to the following:|
1. Individual Behaviour; Personality and Individual Differences
2. Values, Ethics and Organisational Effectiveness
3. Motivation and Job Design
4. Groups and Teams
6. Power and Influence
7. Persuasion, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
8. Organisational Structure and Design
9. Organisational Culture and Climate
10. Organisational Change and Development
|Replacing Course(s)||This course replaces GSBS6020.|
|Transition||This course is not available to students who have completed GSBS6020. |
GSBS6004 Organisational Behaviour and Design will be offered as an equivalent course to GSBS6020 for continuing students.
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for GSBS6004|