German Language 3B Advanced
The course continues to develop competency in speaking, writing, listening and understanding German at an upper intermediate to lower advanced level of proficiency, emphasising a special language register, namely Professional German. It also focuses on the required associated intercultural communication skills that are necessary when interacting politely and respectfully with other adults in the course of their daily lives, including the workplace.
- Semester 2 - 2016
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. continue to develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in German using a register that is appropriate for the workplace
2. demonstrate an understanding of and communicate in German about selected topics related to the home and work environment
3. acquire knowledge of the German-speaking world and its conventions as they relate to the workplace and more formal situations
4. develop the capacity to think critically and organise time effectively
This unit combines everyday language with work related language. It provides students with practical language tools with which to master common day-to-day as well as work-related situations. The course encourages students to perform pragmatically rational communicative tasks in German and use lexico-grammatical features of German accurately.Amongst others, students will explore the language and protocol used for building and maintaining personal and professional relationships; they will learn how to communicate interest or disinterest, how to give and receive instructions, how to convey agreement or disagreement, how to master difficult situations, how to negotiate positive outcomes, and how to articulate personal and professional objectives.In addition, students will be introduced to essential aspects of travelling, living and working in Europe, in particular Germany. Students will also get to know some important conventions governing personal and professional interactions (etiquette), and they will learn about some useful workplace laws and codes that regulate the relationship between employers and employees in Germany.
GRMN3501 or equivalent
Written Assignment: Language Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Language Assignment 2
Formal Examination: Examination *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term