Greek Honours III
|Course code GREK4560||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
GREK4560 is studied in conjunction with GREK4570, as these two courses comprise the thesis component of Honours.
For full-time students, GREK4560 and 4570 are usually to be taken concurrently and, for part-time students, 4560 should be taken before 4570.
GREK4560 is concerned with:
(i) choosing a topic for the thesis,
(ii) compiling a bibliography,
(iii) writing a literature review, and
(iv) presenting a seminar to the Discipline Seminar Programme.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2004|
|Objectives||1. Capacity to focus on a productive field of study.|
2. Capacity to compile a bibliography relevant to a chosen field of study
3. Capacity to choose a problem or series of inter-related problems from the selected field of study.
4. Capacity to produce a critical review of the literature seminal to the problem/s.
5. Capacity to explain the problem/s and related literature to others in both written and oral form.
|Content||Students will select a field of study by the end of Week One of semester.|
Students will compile a bibliography relevant to the field of study early in the semester.
Students will choose a topic for their thesis by the end of Week Four.
Students will undertake a literature review of works relevant to the topic for the thesis.
Students will give a short presentation in Week Five (or Six or Seven), to explain the rationale behind the choice of their topic.
|Transition||The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Social Science Honours programs underwent an external program review in 2008. As part of this review some changes were implemented for all Honours courses. If you enrolled prior to 2009, you will be able to complete your Honours program as it stood at your time of enrollment, this being:|
- Your thesis will be 8,000 words.
- You do not need to adhere to the requirement of 50% thesis and 50% coursework. Your assessment will consist of thesis (20%), 6 research assignments of 2,000 words and 2 x 3 hour Class Examinations (80%).
- You will be given opportunity to give an oral presentation of your work, but this is not mandatory.
|Assumed Knowledge||Students should have completed GREK4540 and GREK4550 and, if full-time, be taking GREK4570 concurrently.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Individual Supervision|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Individual Supervision: for 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Self Directed Learning: for 19 hour(s) per Week for Full Term