Functional Foods and Health Claims
Provides a detailed view of the new and burgeoning area of functional foods which are foods which have a health benefit above and beyond their nutrient content. The course will cover the areas of identification of the various bioactive components, the making of specific functional foods containing these bioactive components and the relevance these foods have to health benefits. The issue of health claims relative to functional foods and the laws governing their use will also be covered.
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Understand the concepts of functional food and food therapy and its role in human health
2. Understand the functionality of bioactive food components and critique the use of these biochemicals in the prevention or treatment of disease states.
3. Understand the health attributes of functional foods and critique the claims that they can reduce the risk of common diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity and modify the aging process and mental acuities.
4. Understand the global trends with respect to the demand and application of functional foods and critique their role in the food and health industries and society as a whole.
5. Understand the links between functional foods, herbal remedies and pharmaceutical preparations and the government regulations which govern their sale.
Bioactive Components of Food
- Historical and Cultural Perspectives
- Identification of Bioactive Food Components
- The Making and Sale of Functional Foods
Health Attributes of Functional Foods
- Health Functionality and Benefit of Food Components
- Health Functionality of the Whole Functional Foods
- Specific Examples of Existing Products and their Relevance to Specific Diseases
Health Claims and Government Regulations
- Regulations re Functional Foods
- Regulations re Health Claims
- Role of the Food, pharmaceutical and complementary/alternative medicine industries
Future Prospects and Markets
- Australian Market
- International Markets
- Use in Medicine and Public Health.
BIOL2011 FSHN2010 FSHN2020 FSHN2030 FSHN3020
Written Assignment: Workshop Written Assignment to prepare major paper (self-directed component)
Quiz: Tutorial Quizzes (Online)
Formal Examination: Formal examinations
Presentation: Presentation Individual (Oral)
In Term Test: Mid Semester Examination
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term