|Course code FMCS4020||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
FILM4020 is the research methods component of the Honours program and is studied in conjunction with FILM4010, FILM4030 and FILM4040 which together comprise the full Media and Cultural Studies Honours program.
The Honours program is the culmination of undergraduate teaching in the discipline of Film, Media and Cultural Studies. It provides for students who have distinguished themselves in this area at 1000-3000 level and wish to explore advanced approaches in the context of detailed studies. FILM4020 builds on undergraduate study by providing an opportunity to investigate the research methods and supporting theories and concepts that can be used to explore individual and social experience of media and culture, both past and present, at an advanced level or in areas not covered previously.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On completion of this course, student will be able to:|
* Discuss the features of a range of research methods for film, media and cultural studies;
* Conceptualize a substantive piece of research;
* Design a research project using appropriate research methods;
* Link theory and method in articulating a project methodology;
* Write and defend a research proposal.
|Content||The course topics may include:|
* Paradigms of research in film, media and cultural studies.
* Analysing texts.
* Analysing audiences and media users.
* Analysing institutions and industries.
* Designing a research project.
* Writing a research proposal.
And other contemporary topics as appropriate.
|Replacing Course(s)||FILM4020 Research Methodologies.|
|Transition||Students who have successfully completed FILM4020 Research Methodologies may not enrol into FMCS4020 Research Methodologies.|
|Assumed Knowledge||At least a credit average performance in film or cultural studies courses as a major sequence for the BA or BSocSci. Students must have qualified for admission to the BA or equivalent degree.|
|Modes of Delivery||Flexible Delivery / Student Centred Learning|
|Teaching Methods||Individual Supervision|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Seminar: for 2 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for FMCS4020|