Cinematic Authorship: Writing the Film Director
|Course code FMCS3800||Units 10||Level 3000||Faculty of Education and ArtsSchool of Humanities and Social Science|
Examines the concept of the director as a film's author from a range of different theoretical, cultural and historical perspectives and how such figuration has been 'written' both on-screen and off. Important directors, films and scholarship in this area will be considered via some select 'case studies' in which to consider different aesthetic approaches through which we can trace divergent notions of authorship and its various problematisations.
Not available in 2014
|Previously offered in 2013|
|Objectives||Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate:|
(1) a detailed engagement with the critical and theoretical debates about authorship in the cinema across different historical and cultural contexts;
(2) a well-developed ability to apply a range of authorship approaches to the work of particular film directors; and
(3) high-level skills in textual, historical and cultural analysis of films with a depth and focus appropriate to upper-level postgraduate study.
|Content||This course examines:|
* films by a select group of directors making up 'case studies' by which to examine and assess different debates about authorship in the cinema
* the notion of cinema authorship as personified in the figure of the director, ranging from its influence as a critical approach in regards to the textual analysis of films to the ways that different films themselves construct or problematise various understandings of the author
* the implications of applying a category such as directorial authorship to films in terms of production, interpretation, and cultural debate.
|Replacing Course(s)||FILM3260 Cinematic Authorship: Writing the Film Director and FILM3160 Transnational Film Directors.|
|Transition||Students are not permitted to enrol in FMCS3800 Cinematic Authorship: Writing the Film Director, if they have previously completed FILM3260 Cinematic Authorship: Writing the Film Director or FILM3160 Transnational Film Directors.|
|Assumed Knowledge||20 units of 1000-level FILM courses.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Seminar: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Laboratory: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term