Exercise & Sport Science Honours 4110
|Course code EXSS4110||Units 20||Level 4000||Faculty of Science and Information TechnologySchool of Environmental and Life Sciences|
This course builds knowledge and understanding about research in the discipline of sports science and physical activity. The course aims at enhancing skills and capacities in reading and reviewing literature, critical reasoning and argument, and verbal communication. Students will enhance their skills through discussions of theoretical and applied directions in sports science and physical activity studies; student-based presentations of key issues; and training in computing skills, on-line bibliographic searches, risk assessment, oral presentation techniques.
In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory Work Health and Safety requirement. Students will receive full information on this Compulsory Course Component in the course outline provided by the School.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of the course students will have:|
1. Advanced comprehension of contemporary issues in exercise and sports science.
2. Advanced understanding of the theory and practice of research in the discipline of exercise and sports science.
3. Knowledge of research ethics and safety principles and procedures associated with exercise and sports science research and a capacity to obtain the appropriate approvals for a research project.
4. Advanced understanding of the use of the scientific method to examine problems.
5. Application of skills and methods needed to critically analyse scientific literature and communicate scientific issues in verbal form.
|Content||* Critical analysis of literature within the field of exercise and sports science including:|
- training in the use of bibliographic sources and computer search methods.
- identifying and summarising key points in literature, clearly and concisely.
- critically appraising scientific methods and arguments.
- formulating evidence-based arguments and communicating them.
* Oral communication within the field of exercise and sports science including:
- training in the use of computer aids for oral presentations
- techniques for effective oral communication.
* Ethical and safety considerations within exercise and sports science research including:
- training in the use of hazard information databases
- identifying hazards and measures to prevent, reduce or control risks
- identifying ethical issues in studies involving human participants
- ethics approval processes for studies involving human participants
|Assumed Knowledge||A major in the appropriate discipline with a minimum credit grade average.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Individual Supervision|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Self Directed Learning: for 10 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
Individual Supervision: for 14 hour(s) per Term for Full Term
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EXSS4110|