Clinical Exercise Testing and Prescription
This course covers a comprehensive range of knowledge and skills that are important for clinical exercise testing and exercise prescription. The lecture content has a very practical focus and targets the main clinical conditions likely to be encountered in an exercise physiology practice. The laboratory sessions are designed for the development of practical competencies in clinical testing skills ranging from electrocardiography to graded exercise and physical performance testing.
- Semester 1 - 2016
- Semester 1 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an ability to identify risk factors for metabolic, respiratory, cardiovascular and musculoskeletal diseases that require consultation with a medical practitioner before participating in, or changing, a physical activity program;
2. Gain an understanding of the various clinical conditions that may be encountered in a exercise physiology practice and be able to develop an appropriate exercise prescription;
3. Modify standard or adopt appropriate fitness tests and programs for special groups, such as older adults and pregnant women or those with diseases or conditions such as osteoarthritis and osteoporosis;
4. Apply the theoretical basis for the selection of various exercise and performance tests and be able to practically implement them;
5. Describe the effects of commonly prescribed medications that may influence the heart rate, blood pressure and electrocardiographic responses to exercise;
6. Identify abnormal electrocardiographic responses to exercise of varying duration and intensity and explain the underlying mechanisms.
- Dealing with clinical populations
- Cardiac Arrhythmias
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Metabolic disorders
- Obesity and overweight
- Pulmonary diseases
- Ageing and falls prevention
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Neurological disorders and depression
- Special populations
- Test protocols and modalities
Must have completed (EXSS2010 or SPOR2010) and (EXSS2050 or SPOR2050). This course replaces SPOR3010. Cannot enrol in this course if you have completed SPOR3010.
EXSS3010 has course prerequisites. Students must successfully complete EXSS2010 (or SPOR2010) and EXSS2050 (or SPOR2050) to enrol in EXSS3010. EXSS2010 or SPOR2010 Exercise Physiology I EXSS2050 or SPOR2050 Exercise Testing and Prescription EXSS2080 or SPOR2080 Growth, Development and Ageing
Quiz: Class quizzes
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Exercises - reports
Formal Examination: Examination: Formal
Written Assignment: Written assignment
Practical Demonstration: Practical Exam *
* This assessment has a compulsory requirement.
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Laboratory: Attendance Requirement - Students must attend a minimum number of these sessions. - Students must attend 80% of scheduled laboratories
- Laboratory: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course, students must complete a compulsory safety induction.
Course Assessment Requirements:
- Practical Demonstration: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course.
Face to Face On Campus 5 hour(s) per Week for 3 Full Term
2 x 2hour laboratories and 1 x 1hour
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term