Studies in Science
|Course code EPSCIE120||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
This course welcomes students to the world of science, introducing key principles and topics across the fields of chemistry, biology, biomechanics and earth and environmental science. Areas of study include the Formation of the universe and earth, Chemistry, Cells and life on earth, Evolution, DNA and Genetics, Biotechnology and Genetic engineering, Biomechanics and Environmental science.
This course is particularly valuable for students wishing to pursue studies in Science (marine, earth science, ecology or sustainable resource management, biology, geography), Teaching, Biotechnology, Environmental Science and Management, Engineering (Environmental and Chemical), Exercise and Sport Science, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Podiatry and is also suitable for students who wish to increase their understanding and appreciation of the world in which we live.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate:|
1. An understanding of key concepts in science.
2. The ability to use their scientific knowledge in a practical situation.
3. The application of critical thinking to address science-based problems.
4. The ability to synthesise information and key concepts to produce a scientific report.
|Content||1. Introduction to Science and the Scientific Method|
2. Formation of the Universe and Earth
3. Introductory chemistry
4. Cells and the evolution of life on Earth
5. DNA structure and function; basic genetics and inheritance
6. Ecology, ecosystems and the environment; global environmental issues
7. Biomechanics, musculoskeletal anatomy
|Replacing Course(s)||Not Applicable|
|Transition||Enrolment in EPSCIE120 precludes enrolment in EPSCIE130.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Case Study|
Problem Based Learning
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EPSCIE120|