Introductory Mathematics 2
|Course code EPMATH234||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
This course aims to consolidate and extend the topics covered in Introductory Mathematics 1. The course includes basic skills and their application to problem solving in the topics of linear function, graphing, probability and statistics.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||* Students will be proficient in their understanding of appropriate mathematical techniques when commencing undergraduate study. |
* Students will display competency, working individually and in groups.
* Students will have acquired critical reasoning and problem solving skills in order to solve mathematical problems.
|Content||The course content may include:|
1. Graphing linear relationships: The number plane, line y = mx + b, gradient, intercept, line of best fit, application to other variables with linear relationships.
2. Probability. Simple probability, experimental probability, Venn diagrams, contingency tables, tree diagrams and tables
3. Statistics: Frequency distribution tables and graphs, sigma notation, measures of central tendency (mean, mode, median), measures of dispersion (range, standard deviation and variance), the normal curve.
|Assumed Knowledge||EPMATH134: Introductory Mathematics 1|
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : IT Based|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks|
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EPMATH234|