Extension Mathematics 1
Available in 2013
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
This course prepares students for the commencement of undergraduate study in those courses that require a sound knowledge of mathematical principles. The depth and content of the course is similar to HSC 2 unit Mathematics. The course covers number systems, basic algebra, simultaneous and quadratic equations, functions and graphs, sequences and series. The course aims to develop the algebraic and graphical skills necessary for calculus.
Recommended for degrees in Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, Surveying and Biotechnology.
|Objectives||The course will develop:
1. an understanding of different number systems and how they are used within various scientific disciplines.
2. the ability to apply algebraic skills for the solution of real world problems.
3. the ability to apply graphical skills for the solution of real world problems.
4. the ability to communicate mathematics, orally and in writing.
5. an understanding and correct use of mathematical notation.
6. the formulation of real-world problems in the language of mathematics, and the ability to solve them.
|Content||The course covers:
* number systems: natural numbers, rationals, intergers, surds and real numbers.
* basic algebra: expanding, factoring, simplifying, solving equations and inequalities, quadratic equations, simultaneous equations.
* curve sketching lines, circles, parabolas, hyperbolae, ellipses, polynomials, rational functions.
* sequences and series: arithmetic and geometric progressions.
|Assumed Knowledge||It is assumed that students are proficient with mathematics to at least Year 10 level.
Students who have not studied mathematics for some time would benefit from taking a Mathematics Bridging course before enrolling in this course.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2013 Course Timetables for EPMATH153|