Newstep - Mathematical Studies
Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
EPMATH127 Newstep Mathematical Studies prepares students for degrees requiring a basic level of mathematics. The content includes further statistics, the normal distribution, statistical measures; functions and graphs, ratio and variation; elementary trigonometry; financial mathematics; elementary probability including set theory. The depth of treatment is similar to HSC General Mathematics course.
1. Develop a sound knowledge and understanding of some basic skills of mathematics and statistics
2. Develop an appreciation of the concepts of mathematics and statistics as relevant useful and transferable for those courses requiring a non-rigorous level of mathematics.
1. Functions and graphs - quadratic, cubic, reciprocal and exponential (application to compound interest and depreciation).
2. Variation - direct and inverse.
3. Pythagoras Theorem, right angled and non-right angled trigonometry
4. Logarithms(light treatment)- application to solution of exponential equations
5. Basic probability - Venn Diagrams, tree diagrams, ordered and unordered arrangements.
6. Measures of dispersion: range, interquartile range, standard deviation, box plots.
7. Correlation and linear regression.
8. Normal distribution; Z-Scores
At least a Pass grade in EPMATH126 Mathematical Studies.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks