Newstep - Mathematical Studies
|Course code EPMATH127||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
EPMATH127 Newstep Mathematical Studies prepares students for degrees requiring a basic level of mathematics. The content includes further statistics, the normal distribution, statistical measures; functions and graphs, ratio and proportion; financial mathematics; logarithms and exponentials, elementary probability. The depth of treatment is similar to HSC General Mathematics course.
Available in 2014
1. Develop a sound knowledge and understanding of some basic skills of mathematics and statistics
2. Develop an appreciation of the concepts of mathematics and statistics as relevant, useful and transferable for those courses requiring a non-rigorous level of mathematics.
|Content||1. Simple Interest and Ratio.|
3. Linear Functions.
4. Functions and graphs - quadratic, cubic, reciprocal and exponential (application to compound interest and depreciation).
5. Variation - direct and inverse.
6. Logarithms - application to solution of exponential equations
7. Basic probability - Venn Diagrams, tree diagrams, ordered and unordered arrangements.
8. Measures of dispersion: interquartile range, standard deviation, box plots.
9. Correlation and linear regression.
10. Normal distribution; Z-Scores.
|Assumed Knowledge||At least a Pass grade in EPMATH126 Mathematical Studies.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EPMATH127|