Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
EPMATH126 Mathematical Studies prepares students for undergraduate courses requiring a basic level of mathematics. The course covers the topics of arithmetic and calculation, basic algebra, equations and descriptive statistics. The depth of treatment is similar to HSC General Mathematics course.
In this course students will:
1. develop a sound knowledge and understanding of some basic skills of mathematics and statistics.
2. develop an appreciation of the concepts of mathematics and statistics as relevant, useful and transferable for those courses requiring a non-rigorous level of mathematics.
The course covers:
1. Number operations, fractions, decimal, percentage calculations; Scientific notation, use of scientific calculator; ratio and rates.
2. Units of measurement, unit conversions, errors, approximations
3. Basic algebra; simplifying, expanding, substitution.
4. Solution of equations; transposition of formulae, simultaneous equations.
5. Linear function.
6.Graphs of qualitative data.
7.Presentation of data - histograms, polygons, ogive, stem and leaf plots, grouped data.
8.Measures of central tendency: mean, median and mode.
Mathematical concepts equivalent to Year 10 School Certificate Intermediate Level.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks