|Course code EPMATH126||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
EPMATH126 Mathematical Studies prepares students for undergraduate courses requiring a basic level of mathematics. The course covers the topics of numeration, arithmetic and calculation, basic algebra, equations, measurement and descriptive statistics. The depth of treatment is similar to HSC General Mathematics course.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||In this course students will:|
1. develop a sound knowledge and understanding of some basic skills of mathematics and statistics.
2. develop an appreciation of the concepts of mathematics and statistics as relevant, useful and transferable for those courses requiring a non-rigorous level of mathematics.
|Content||The course covers: |
1. Basic history of numeration, place value and arithmetic.
2. Order of operations, directed numbers, fractions, decimals, percentage calculations.
3. Basic algebra: simplification, expansion, substitution.
4. Equation solving: transposition of formulae, simultaneous equations.
5. Scientific notation, units of measurement, prefixes, unit conversions.
6. Measures of central tendency and dispersion.
|Assumed Knowledge||Mathematical concepts equivalent to Year 10 School Certificate Intermediate Level.|
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EPMATH126|