Research Protocol Design
Develops a framework of a research protocol in an area of student interest. This research protocol framework may be preparatory work for a Masters or PHD.
- Semester 2 - 2016
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. To select an appropriate area of research and a relevant research question
2. To provide a brief rationale for that research question
3. To develop a testable hypothesis
4. To design research methodology appropriate to test the hypothesis and/or answer the research question.
5. To design or select appropriate measures, and to discuss one of these measures in detail (reliability, validity, acceptability)
6. To identify appropriate sampling procedures and sample size
7. To select appropriate statistical tests for different types of data; and to understand the assumptions underlying different statistical tests (where appropriate)
8. To consider ethical and logistical issues in research
A Protocol is developed by means of a series of assignments throughout the semester. Contact is generally through blackboard, by phone or email, although face to face contact is available to local students.
Completion of, EPID6420 (Epidemiology A), and BIOS6910 (Biostatistics A), It is desirable to complete EPID6430 (Epidemiology B) and BIOS6920 (Biostatistics B). Students enrolled in the Master of Nursing (Advanced Practice) are allowed to do these courses.
Written Assignment: Written Assignments (x3)
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Self-Directed 6 hour(s) per Week for Full Term