Pharmacoepidemiology - Policy and Economic Issues
|Course code EPID6530||Units 10||Level 6000||Faculty of Health and MedicineSchool of Medicine and Public Health|
Covers a wide range of issues: regulation and legislation relevant to pharmaceuticals; the pharmaceutical industry; affordability and equity of access to therapeutic drugs; the assessment of the cost-effectiveness of drugs; and the incorporation of these elements into national drug policies.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||After completion of this course, students should have the following skills/knowledge:|
1. An understanding of the basic elements of legislation governing the production or importation of pharmaceutical products.
2. An understanding of the minimum requirements for legislation and regulation to ensure the quality of pharmaceutical products.
3. An understanding of the basic elements of drug evaluation to ensure an adequate balance between efficacy, safety and quality of pharmaceutical products.
4. An understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, and its place in modern societies.
5. An understanding of the basic elements of pharmacoeconomic analysis.
6. And understanding of how all of these elements are incorporated in comprehensive national medicinal drug policies.
7. The ability to perform rapid drug evaluations, and a critical appraisal of published pharmacoeconomic analyses.
|Content||Module 1: Drug Policy I: Drug Regulation and Legislation|
Module 2: Drug Policy II: Access, Pharmaceutical Industry and Quality Use of Medicines
Module 3: Introduction to Pharmacoeconomics
Module 4: Measurement and Incorporation of Costs in Pharmacoeconomic Analysis
Module 5: Health Related Quality of Life
Module 6: Use of Economic Modelling in Pharmacoeconomic Analysis
Module 7: Use of Pharmacoeconomic Analysis in Decision-Making and Pricing: Price Setting
|Modes of Delivery||Distance Learning : Paper Based|
|Teaching Methods||Email Discussion Group|
Self Directed Learning
|Contact Hours||Email Discussion Group: for 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term|
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EPID6530|