Studies in Law 1
Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 1|
|Distance Education - Callaghan||Semester 1|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
Studies in Law 1 is an introduction to the Australian legal system. It explores the foundation of our legal heritage and specific areas of law. The major mode of delivery is lectures, although some audio visual is used.
The course provides development of:
1. a general understanding of the workings of the Australian legal system.
2. research skills and academic writing skills.
3. the ability to understand specifically what is required in an essay question, and to write an essay which actually answers that question.
4. the ability to take concise notes during lectures.
5. individual study skills in preparation for written examinations.
6. confidence, and a personal study regime to lay the foundation of good habits for future study.
Topics in Studies in Law 1 include:
1. what is law?
2. sources of law.
3. constitutional law and the structure of Australian government.
4. court hierarchies and the doctrine of precedent.
5. common law and how statute law is made.
6. the legal profession.
7. legal aid.
8. alternative dispute resolution.
Modes of Delivery
Distance Learning : IT Based
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks