|Course code EPHUMA136||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
EPHUMA136 Directed Study provides flexibility in student activity and topic selection, whilst demanding a high level of self motivation and organisation. Students must select a topic of work relevant to their intended undergraduate program. This course reinforces and develops the methodologies of academic writing and research, as well as oral presentation.
Available in 2014
|Objectives||Directed Study provides an opportunity for students to research an area of interest within the confines of their intended undergraduate program. It allows students to develop the skills involved in research and academic writing that will be expected of them at undergraduate level.|
1. Students will be expected to develop skills in research, using appropriate methodologies and resources.
2. Students must demonstrate an ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
3. Students must demonstrate competence in academic writing through submission of a final essay and an oral presentation.
|Content||1. Preparation of a research essay based on student interest and relevance to the undergraduate program.|
2. Attendance and participation in introduction to research lectures and tutorials.
3. Plagiarism, paraphrasing and internal referencing.
4. Selection of a research topic and a written outline of the general nature of the intended research.
5. Presentation of a 'mind map' of the key areas of research which also shows how these areas are related and connected.
6. Preparation of a research timeline.
7. An Annotated Bibliography.
8. Presentation of a written research essay of approximately 3000 words using appropriate academic format.
9. Presentation of an oral outline of the outcomes of the research.
10. Ongoing consultation with the supervisor.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Self Directed Learning|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2014 Course Timetables for EPHUMA136|