Media and Communications
|Course code EPHUMA120||Units 10||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
Communications and Media will provide students with an overview of the function and influence of the media industry. The course will examine the various segments of the industry, considering their history, structure and contemporary development. It will also consider how diverse media outlets are interconnected, both nationally and global, and the influence that media has on social and cultural understanding.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||On successful completion of this course, students will: |
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the development of the media, including both national and global media structures
2. Be able to analyse and critique diverse media output; particularly news media, and identify their political influences
3. Be able to produce academic writing forms appropriate to humanities disciplines
4. Demonstrate an awareness of technological developments impacting the media industry
5. Be able to articulate opinions about media output appropriately (written and verbal)
|Content||This course will take two key perspectives:|
1. Firstly, the course will provide an explanation of the structure and function of the various facets of the media industry. This will include individual examination of print, radio, television and online media. It will then demonstrate how these are interconnected through centralised ownership and other commercial imperatives.
2. Secondly, the course will consider the role that the media plays in society and how the media industry responds to that responsibility. This will involve analysis of political and cultural bias, censorship and media ethics.
Each lecture topic will be accompanied by a specific case study that will be examined during tutorials. These case studies will provide a practical example to compliment the theoretic approach.
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EPHUMA120|