Available in 2012
|Callaghan Campus||Semester 2|
Previously offered in 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
EPHUMA120 Communications is designed to provide opportunities for students to overview some skills for effective communication which are applicable to a wide variety of undergraduate areas and life situations. It covers aspects of the communication process, the active role of an effective communicator and concentrates on analysis of the techniques and the social and cultural features of advertising.
1. critically analyse a variety of media for cultural codes and layers of meaning.
2. be expected to develop a cultural understanding of self and others.
3. consider the media's role in advertising and its reflection of culture.
4. work as part of a team.
5. overview some issues related to communication in the workplace.
6. reinforce the academic skills (writing skills) involved in research and its presentation (speaking skills).
1. Theories of communication.
3. Effective communication, i.e. oral presentation, active listening, non verbal communication
4. Written communication for academic purposes.
5. Interpersonal skills of negotiation and team building.
Modes of Delivery
Lecture: for 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks