|Course code EPGEOS301||Units 20||English Language & Foundation Studies Centre|
Earth Science Systems and Applications:
This course provides a dynamic introduction to Earth Science systems and applications. It introduces the disciplines of Geology, Physical Geography and Environmental Science and affords a better understanding of Earth and its processes. The subject matter and assessment provide for a range of learning styles.
This course provides a sound basis on which to proceed to undergraduate studies in the Earth and Environmental Sciences and provides a body of knowledge and skills, complete in itself, for those planning to continue their study in other areas of Science, Technology and Education.
Available in 2015
|Objectives||The course will:|
1. encourage the production of written and oral work to demonstrate a level of literacy adequate for entry into undergraduate study.
2. help develop the ability to work independently and as part of a group.
3. develop critical analytical skills in response to texts and other stimuli.
4. develop the capability to use library resources for research.
5. develop competency in the use of computers for research and assignment presentation.
6. develop the ability to work systematically in the laboratory and field, and develop appropriate competence in practical techniques.
|Content||The course includes coverage of the following topics:|
1. Earth as a planet
2. continental drift and plate tectonics
4. volcanic activity
5. rock forming minerals
6. igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic processes and products
7. fossils, evolution and geological time
8. mineral resources
9. glaciation and ice ages
10. topographic and geologic maps and cross sections
11. landscape interpretation
12. local geology
13. environmental issues
14. geological catastrophes, and hazards
15. engineering geology
|Modes of Delivery||Internal Mode|
|Teaching Methods||Field Study|
|Contact Hours||Lecture: for 4 hour(s) per Week for 12 weeks|
Tutorial: for 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 weeks
Field Study: for 8 hour(s) per Term for 1 weeks
|Timetables||2015 Course Timetables for EPGEOS301|