Earth Science 2
Earth Science 2 provides a dynamic introduction to Earth Science applications. It applies the skills and knowledge of Geology, Physical Geography and Environmental Science to the solution of problems involving Earth and its processes.
The subject matter and assessment provide for a range of learning styles. This course provides a sound basis on which to proceed to undergraduate studies in the Earth and Environmental Sciences and provides a body of knowledge and skills, complete in itself, for those planning to continue their study in other areas of Science, Technology and Education.
- Semester 2 - 2015
On-Line from Callaghan
- Semester 2 - 2015
1. Further develop written skills to a level suitable for undergraduate entry
2. Further develop critical and analytical skills
3. Develop competency in individual research
4. Prepare assignments to a level suitable for undergraduate entry
5. Enhance and assess the students' problem solving abilities
6. Integrate concepts introduced in lectures and their application to actual examples
7. Work systematically in order to explain geological features observed in the field in terms of their significance, how they formed and how they relate to broad concepts of geological science.
8. Write a report using information from field based data collection to demonstrate interpretive ability, understanding of three dimensional geology and literacy skills
9. Develop the ability to organise and write answers in a limited time and address examination questions.
The course includes coverage of the following topics:
- mineral resources
- glaciation and ice ages
- topographic and geologic maps and cross sections
- landscape interpretation
- local geology
- environmental issues
- geological catastrophes and hazards
- engineering geology.
Written Assignment: Assignment 1
Written Assignment: Assignment 2
Written Assignment: Assignment 3
Formal Examination: Final Examination
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 11 Weeks